SC - OOP/OT tangent on recent Roumanian Steak thread: Kosher?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 1 19:25:55 PST 2001

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> Is there any meat on a pig tail?  I mean anything worth bothering about?
> Phillipa (this Jew wants to know!)
>
> << 1 pig tail >>

Sure, kinda like an oxtail, only smaller, with the added benefit of its
being edible with the skin on (unlike oxtails, which are technically
edible with the skin on, just not normally sold or found that way,
except on the ox) which adds a lovely gelatinous, velvety quality to the
liquid it is cooked in.

I've always been a confirmed oxtail fiend, but haven't had a lot of
experience with the oinker variety. Something I've been seeing more
frequently, though, in the markets, is veal tails -- very similar to
oxtails, but somewhat smaller and, well, veal instead of beef. They make
a smashing stew.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy