SC - Peter Luger's

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Feb 2 08:14:55 PST 2001

- --MS_Mac_OE_3063957234_3697007_MIME_Part

Orlaith uge-ber:

Phillipa,

Do you have a good recipe for matzoh ball soup? One of
my roommates loves it
and my s.o. is Jewish so I would love to know how to
make it. Funny thing is,
I have never even tasted it.

Orlaith,

While I may not be Phillipa, I can give you my recipe for Matzoh Ball Soup.
No two cooks make it the same, so your mileage may vary.

I've found that this recipe makes nice fluffy little matzoh balls.
::Chuckle:: I'm not Jewish, but I've found matzoh ball soup to be my
favorite form of comfort food.

Matzoh Ball Soup:

Matzoh Balls
1 cup Matzoh Meal
1/4 cup melted shortening or schmaltz (chicken fat) (Some may use vegetable
oil, but I have found that it makes very dense matzoh balls.
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. salt
dash white pepper
dash black pepper
garlic powder (this is a personal preference, I love garlic, so I add lots!)
4 large beaten eggs.

Beat the eggs and add all the ingredients except for the matzoh meal and mix
well.
Add matzoh meal and stir thoroughly.
Cover and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.

get 1 1/2 - 2 quarts of water that has been salted to taste (or clear
chicken broth) to a boil.
Form the mixture into walnut sized balls, make sure you wet your hands with
cold water before forming each ball. This helps keep the matzoh balls from
disintegrating in the water/soup.  Drop balls into the water/broth.   Cover
with lid and cook for 30 minutes.

As I said, your mileage may vary.    I've had matzoh balls that have ranged
in size from foosballs to tennis balls, and varying in densities that either
float happily on top of the stock, or as Master James of Rutland once put
it, "Sink to the bottom of the pot with a definitive 'CLANK!'"

Experiment with the recipe, experiment with the recipes you find on the side
of the matzoh meal boxes...It's one of those dishes that really doesn't have
a right or wrong way to make it.

Yours,

Boroghul.

- --MS_Mac_OE_3063957234_3697007_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: SC - matzoh ball soup </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Orlaith uge-ber:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><TT>Phillipa,<BR>
<BR>
Do you have a good recipe for matzoh ball soup? One of<BR>
my roommates loves it<BR>
and my s.o. is Jewish so I would love to know how to<BR>
make it. Funny thing is,<BR>
I have never even tasted it.<BR>
<BR>
</TT></BLOCKQUOTE>Orlaith,<BR>
<BR>
While I may not be Phillipa, I can give you my recipe for Matzoh Ball Soup.=
<BR>
No two cooks make it the same, so your mileage may vary.<BR>
<BR>
I've found that this recipe makes nice fluffy little matzoh balls.  ::=
Chuckle:: I'm not Jewish, but I've found matzoh ball soup to be my favorite =
form of comfort food.<BR>
<BR>
<TT>Matzoh Ball Soup:<BR>
<BR>
Matzoh Balls<BR>
1 cup Matzoh Meal<BR>
1/4 cup melted shortening or schmaltz (chicken fat) (Some may use vegetable=
 oil, but I have found that it makes very dense matzoh balls.<BR>
1/4 cup water<BR>
1 tsp. salt<BR>
dash white pepper<BR>
dash black pepper<BR>
garlic powder (this is a personal preference, I love garlic, so I add lots!=
)<BR>
4 large beaten eggs.<BR>
<BR>
Beat the eggs and add all the ingredients except for the matzoh meal and mi=
x well.<BR>
Add matzoh meal and stir thoroughly.  <BR>
Cover and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.<BR>
<BR>
get 1 1/2 - 2 quarts of water that has been salted to taste (or clear chick=
en broth) to a boil.<BR>
Form the mixture into walnut sized balls, make sure you wet your hands with=
 cold water before forming each ball. This helps keep the matzoh balls from =
disintegrating in the water/soup.  Drop balls into the water/broth. &nb=
sp; Cover with lid and cook for 30 minutes.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
As I said, your mileage may vary.    I've had matzoh balls t=
hat have ranged in size from foosballs to tennis balls, and varying in densi=
ties that either float happily on top of the stock, or as Master James of Ru=
tland once put it, "Sink to the bottom of the pot with a definitive 'CL=
ANK!'"<BR>
<BR>
Experiment with the recipe, experiment with the recipes you find on the sid=
e of the matzoh meal boxes...It's one of those dishes that really doesn't ha=
ve a right or wrong way to make it.<BR>
<BR>
Yours,<BR>
<BR>
Boroghul.<BR>
</TT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --MS_Mac_OE_3063957234_3697007_MIME_Part--