SC - Storebought kraut - OOP

Hupman, Laurie LHupman at kenyon.com
Fri Feb 2 09:37:59 PST 2001

>It's not a low-fiber diet, just low in starches and sugars (very big on
>salads, lettuces, bean sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, etc.). Fruits do
>enter the picture, in controlled quantities, after a couple of weeks.
>The main food types this diet recommends avoiding are processed sucrose
>and low-fiber starches.

I use a variation on this called the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet.  It allws
me two low-carb and one high-carb meals per day, and works by controlling
insulin levels.  I can have the starches and sugars, in controlled amounts.
I used to follow the usual diet pyramid, Mediterranean-diet recommendations.
  I weighed 260 pounds, had no energy, and was constantly hungry.  Now I eat
lots of leafy greens, small amounts of protein and fat, and watch my sugar
and carb intake, and I weigh 205.  Best of all, it's sustainable.  This
works for me, but would not work for someone else who does not have my carb
sensitivities.  Eliminating sweets, processed foods, and large amounts of
alcohol *generally* speaking can have a salubrious effect.

Another thing that I can credit has been steady exercise.  Not necessarily
brutal exercise; at the same time I started this diet I also started
training qigong and kung fu 3-4 times a week.  The exercises are not
strenuous, but they do produce concrete results.  The only recommendation I
can make is to pay attention to your body.  When do you get hungry?  What do
you crave?  What satisfies you most?  Does eating certain things make you
hungry?  Once you do find something that works, then stick with it.  The
only way I can stay on this regimen is to treat it like a disease.  If I
break this diet, I will get sick.  Most of all, be happy with your body.
You don't have to be Twiggy, or Arnold, to be worth something.  Just be
healthy.

Vicente
(possessed of too many hot, dry humors and so must eat lettuce to cool them)