SC - Per head budgets

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 2 10:51:13 PST 2001

> I would have thought that the greatest cost was the fish.
> Chicken and cider
> is rather inexpensive. Although you did use the breast meat
> which is more
> expensive. Just about any type of fish is pretty expensive in
> Texas. Add to
> the fact that a lot of people say they won't eat it is one
> reason I don't
> usually
> do fish. But you have inspired me to try for the next feast I
> do if I get a
> good
> deal on it.

I used whiting, which is about the cheapest fish you can get.  Wally World
commonly sells it frozen at 2 pounds for $3.  I happened to catch it at
$1.25 a pound.

The decision on me doing the feast got delayed so rather than $.99 a pound
breast, I wound up paying about $1.69 a pound and needed more than I had
planned for.  It actually was more expensive than the beef which I got most
of for $1.50 a pound.

The cheapest cider I could find was $3.60 a gallon.  Most of it was running
between $4 and 5.  I needed at least 10 gallons.  It hadn't been planned
into the budget, but I needed it as verisimilitude for the feast.  I bit the
bullet and spent an unplanned for $45, and I'm glad I did.

> I usually get around $3 a head for most of my feasts, btw.
> $5 is pure luxury.

While I agree $5 is luxury, I was out to try to accurately recreate recipes
for an Elizabethean feast and I decided to use the best ingredients I could
find, even if they cost a little more.  I chased all over town, buying
butter on sale.  I bought heavy cream from the one full-service dairy in the
state.  Other little nice touches that add up.

In most circumstances, I would have gone a little less expensive, but Maleah
brought me on board to put on the dog without going in the hole.  I
proceeded to do just that, so we broke a little better than even.

> I'm planning to do a very limited <40 person feast of extreme
> quality and
> entertainment. Charging around $20 - $30 a head. But this
> would include
> several courses of highest quality stuff as well as live musicians,
> entertainment
> and proper handwashing and carving.
> I've had several people tell me that when I plan to do it
> they will attend.
> Now I just need to get off my lazy butt and do it.
>
> > Bear
>
> Yers,
>
> Gunthar

Sounds like fun.  Let me know when you decide to do it.

Bear