SC - Visit to Boston

margali margali at 99main.com
Fri Feb 2 14:37:18 PST 2001

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip & Susan Troy" <troy at asan.com>
To: "SCA COOKS" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 9:25 PM
Subject: SC - OOP/OT tangent on recent Roumanian Steak thread: Kosher?

> Hullo, the list!
>
> Just now, Phillipa asked about pigs' tails, and I mentioned ox and veal
> tails, and it occurred to me to wonder if these cuts were Kosher (not
> the pork, the others). This is not my baileywick, but I vaguely remember
> something about Kosher beef being taken generally from the forequarters
> of the animal, but that under certain circumstances Jews can enjoy the
> short loin and other hind quarter cuts _provided_ that the sciatic nerve
> has been removed with sufficient care. I gather also, though, that this
> is a lot of trouble and that this is why common cuts of Kosher beef are
> more in the chuck family.

This procedure is done in the deboning room, and since I'm mainly on the
kill floor at work, I'm not fully up on this particuallar bit, but from the
talk in the office - the hindquarters need a major vein removed by a rabbi
before it's kosher. But then this is Glatt kosher I'm talking about, other
kosher types may be different.

Beatrix of  Tanet
Calontir