SC - Brawn Question

Ted Eisenstein alban at delphi.com
Sat Feb 3 17:15:30 PST 2001

- --MS_Mac_OE_3064069828_10475409_MIME_Part

Phillipa uge-ber:

Hello, Boroghul,
I think your recipe for matzoh balls looks great and I cannot improve upon
it
so I would suggest it for Orlaith.  In truth (should I admit this to a
cooking group?)  I don't make mine from scratch. I use the *Manischevitz*
boxed brand and the matzoh balls come out wonderful!

My sister in law makes hers from scratch and she uses oil and they come out
like  lead. (why does oil make lead matzoh balls?)
My family hasn't used chicken schmaltz since my last bubbie died  in 1968.
But schmaltz probably *was* the secret ingredient!
Phillipa

I don't know why oil works the way it does with matzoh balls, but I agree,
they're always best to me when I make them with schmaltz and use real
chicken broth...well, real chicken garlic broth with a bit of real chicken
broth to keep faithful to the woman that first served me Matzoh Ball soup 10
years ago.  My level of success from best to worst is as follows

Schmaltz
Crisco shortening
Orville Redenbacher's popping and topping oil (Emergency situation and my
roommate had just ruined my Crisco!)
regular vegetable/canola oil

When I first started making matzoh ball soup, I started using the
Manischevitz mix, then I started using matzoh meal and working from that
way, Especially after I received a copy of the Jewish American Cookbook as a
wedding present.

I've also found that making the matzoh balls ahead of time and storing them
in a plastic container works great.  For Lent, I would make soups for myself
and take them to work with me in a crock pot since the places around the
office were all carnivore oriented.  The matzoh balls keep, and if I use
Crisco and Master Daniel of Rutland's vegetarian soup base recipe, I have a
wonderful guilt free lunch!

- --MS_Mac_OE_3064069828_10475409_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: SC - matzoh ball soup </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Phillipa uge-ber:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><TT>Hello, Boroghul,<BR>
I think your recipe for matzoh balls looks great and I cannot improve upon =
it <BR>
so I would suggest it for Orlaith.  In truth (should I admit this to a=
 <BR>
cooking group?)  I don't make mine from scratch. I use the *Manischevi=
tz* <BR>
boxed brand and the matzoh balls come out wonderful!<BR>
<BR>
My sister in law makes hers from scratch and she uses oil and they come out=
 <BR>
like  lead. (why does oil make lead matzoh balls?)<BR>
 My family hasn't used chicken schmaltz since my last bubbie died  in =
1968.  <BR>
But schmaltz probably *was* the secret ingredient!<BR>
Phillipa<BR>
<BR>
</TT></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know why oil works the way it does with matzoh ba=
lls, but I agree, they're always best to me when I make them with schmaltz a=
nd use real chicken broth...well, real chicken garlic broth with a bit of re=
al chicken broth to keep faithful to the woman that first served me Matzoh B=
all soup 10 years ago.  My level of success from best to worst is as fo=
llows<BR>
<BR>
Schmaltz<BR>
Crisco shortening<BR>
Orville Redenbacher's popping and topping oil (Emergency situation and my r=
oommate had just ruined my Crisco!)<BR>
regular vegetable/canola oil<BR>
<BR>
When I first started making matzoh ball soup, I started using the Manischev=
itz mix, then I started using matzoh meal and working from that way, Especia=
lly after I received a copy of the Jewish American Cookbook as a wedding pre=
sent.<BR>
<BR>
I've also found that making the matzoh balls ahead of time and storing them=
 in a plastic container works great.  For Lent, I would make soups for =
myself and take them to work with me in a crock pot since the places around =
the office were all carnivore oriented.  The matzoh balls keep, and if =
I use Crisco and Master Daniel of Rutland's vegetarian soup base recipe, I h=
ave a wonderful guilt free lunch!
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --MS_Mac_OE_3064069828_10475409_MIME_Part--