SC - Storebought kraut

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 3 21:32:53 PST 2001

Adamantius wrote:
>Brought up as a Catholic, and accepting most of what the Catholic Church
>teaches, after doing a fair amount of comparative religious study,
>soul-searching, and critical thinking, with the exception of accepting
>the concept of the infallibility of certain elderly Poles and their
>alleged ability to know right from wrong better than I do.

Pope Pius IX, who had the longest pontificate (1846-78) in Catholic
history, summoned the First Vatican Council (1869-70), which endorsed
papal infallibility, no doubt at his behest. Before that, Papal
infallibility was not a sure thing, although, of course, Vatican I
justified it with doctrine, and passages of Scripture. So it doesn't
have such an old history and perhaps it can be overturned :-) It
certainly didn't exist in Adamantius's day - although it may have
been debated once in a while.

Anahita