SC - spelling please

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 10:14:42 PST 2001

<snip lots of good stuff about peaches in period>

> Nola has one recipe for a peach pottage, which appears to be
> meant as a accompaniment to roasts: peaches cooked in broth-
> based almond milk, seasoned with sugar, ginger, and drippings
> from the spit.

	Oh, say, now that sounds good!  I will definitely try this one when I am
able to do some sugars again.  Mmmmmm.....

> I'll let one of the gardeners on the list answer questions about
> growing them.  Presumably, they require mild weather, since they
> flourish in places like Georgia.
> Lady Brighid ni Chiarain

	They also require lots of water, to the point that peach fields are
flooded and allowed to soak during their growing season.  I don't know
the absolute agricultural statistics, but even though Georgia is the
Peach State, South Carolina boasts the "Big Peach", a sight we are
treated to when travelling to and from Pennsic from Atlanta.  In Gaffney,
SC, there is a large (think water tower) peach on a pole, with the
butt-side facing the interstate.  Quite impressive.
	Christianna
	off dreaming of peach pottage and pork roasts, mmmm....