SC - keeping of saurkraut

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 4 17:54:54 PST 2001

Nisha said:
> I like hebrew national brand when I can find it.
> Clausens is good too. Nice and crisp. I've never seen
> bubbies.

We've had some long discussions on Saurkraut before. Perhaps some of
these, which can be found in the fd-Germany-msg file in the
FOOD-BY-REGION section of the Florilegium might be of interest to
you. There is some mention of period recipes, but I think they are
recipes using saurkraut rather than directions on making it. There
are however modern directions for making it in the file.

You might also check the pickled-foods-msg file in the FOOD section.

> My mom actually made kraut when we had a garden. Made
> the house smell AWFUL!!! but it was really good.

>From the previous comments, it would seem that this is the way it
is supposed to smell during it's creation.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net