SC - OT: Web copyright -- can Earthlink use my material?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 4 18:14:20 PST 2001

Anahita said:
> You can learn more about Bubbie's products at:
> http://www.bubbies.com/
>
> They say:
> "Bubbies can be found in the refrigerator sections of better natural
> health food stores nation wide as well as most chain stores in
> California, Florida, and Colorado. Please ask for them by name.
> Consumer demand is the key to success!"

If Saurkraut is pickled cabbage, and it was originally pickled as a
preservative technique, why does it need to be stored in the
refrigerator section today?

Is this simply overkill and a waste of resouces? Or is today's saurkraut
indeed changed from the way it was done a hundred years ago, before
commercial refrigeration such that it now needs refrigeration?

They sell jars of pickles (pickled cucumbers), pickled peppers,
pickled carrots and pickled onions on the non-refrigerated shelves.

When I bought some saurkraut recently it was in a plastic pouch in the
deli section, and again it was in a refrigerated case.

I've also wondered about this with other foods. The first time I saw
Smithfield hams they were in the refrigerated case. This last season
though, the same grocery had them sitting on the top of the cases.

I've also bought smoked fish that was refrigerated. In that case, I
think they are more lightly smoked than they were in the past and that
it is simply for taste and not preservation.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net