off list was Re: SC - Brawn Question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 4 18:44:08 PST 2001

grizly at mindspring.com wrote:

> sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> <<<  Veal is special young cow... generally these are calfs raised specifically for veal, kept relatively restricted and often milkfed. But they sure do make nice meat ;) >>>>>>
>
> Also added is the fact that to "Confirmed Beef Eaters" TM  eating veal is a lot like eating filet/tenderloin . . . what's the point?  Dyed in the wool beef men want to ribeye or T-bone for that strong flavor and meaty texture.  Veal is awfully delicate and given to fancy saucing.  Not exactly what you would see cow punchers eating out of a chuck wagon.  So, procedural and cultural differences are likely at work.

Interestingly enough, an essential ingredient in Texas S.O.B. stew, a
chuck wagon classic, is marrowgut, a.k.a. margut or mugget, a gelatinous
tube running between two of the stomachs of an unweaned calf. Evidently
at least some veal was slaughtered, and I assume the rest of the animal
didn't go to waste.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy