SC -veal longings

Marcus Antaya mjantaya at home.com
Sun Feb 4 21:54:40 PST 2001

KarenO wrote:

>     Now my Roomie is horning in  ;>  saying there ain't no such thing as
> "free range" veal.  My defination for veal  is  a calf slaughtered for meat
> prior to age of weaning.   Or am I just being too PC?
>
>     Caointiarn

Actually, it's my understanding that "industrial" standards for raising
veal in the USA have moved closer to being free-range than much European
veal, which often involves calves being restrained, somewhat like a
battery chicken, and fed only milk. Americans (and perhaps others) used
to protest the use of such European veal in U.S. restaurants as coming
from maltreated, anemic animals. Yes, having them in perfect health
before killing them is very important, I suppose. (Are we checking the
cholesterol counts of our beef cattle? I mean, they're more or less
vegetarian; you'd think it would be low.) And then there is the
mysterious phenomenon of using chemicals to mess with the hunger/satiety
sensations of  American geese, so they will eat until they drop and
produce lovely foie gras without actually having to ram a funnel down
their throats. We're so happy happy happy to be humane, aren't we?

But I digress ;  ) .

Technically, veal in the U.S. is calf meat, some of which is unweaned,
but most of which, I understand, is not subject to the kind of bloody
'orrible treatment often found in other cultures. We have other forms of
blooy 'orrible treatment of our very ownsome, thanyewverymuch.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com