SC - spelling please

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 5 10:49:21 PST 2001

Totally off topic for the list, but on topic for this off-topic
thread on the spelling and usage of foreign words in any language:

i always hyphenate e-mail, because "email" (sort of pronounced
"eh-my" in English) means "enamel" in French and that's the first
thing i think of when i see "email".

And don't forget other "French" words such as "le chewing gum"
pronounced "shwang gum", "le living" for "living room", "le
shampooing" (shom-pwang) for "shampoo" (which is originally a word
from India meaning "massage"; why it means hair washing soap in
English i'm not entirely sure), etc.

It's a rare language that is "pure" and trying to purify a language
seems a bit silly to me. If we "purified" English we'd lose over 75
per cent of our words.

Anahita
clogging up the mail but not your arteries