OT - Re: SC - spelling please

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon Feb 5 11:50:21 PST 2001

- --- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Balthazar of Blackmoor wrote:
> >Actually, the English bastardization of the word
> >should have no bearing...

> I know you live in America.
>
> How do you pronounce "Paris" in general
> conversation? Is you say
> "Paris" with a final "s" you are wrong according to
> your criteria.

Yes, yes, yes...and French Fries are actually Pommes
Fritte or some such falderall... The point is that we
have a perfectly useable French word, which does not
NEED to have an "s" nailed to the end of it to make it
plural, so why do so?  Do we put an "s" on the end of
Ox when we have more than one?  No.  Are they Geese or
Gooses?  Mice or Mouses?  The French word stands alone
quite well, and has done so for many, many years.
There is no point in adding an extra letter.  Those
who know the word, and know what it means, should also
be able to pronounce it just fine without any extra
letters.  those who don't know the word will ask for
"appetizers" anyway, so why bother with them?

Balth