SC -veal longings

Ted Eisenstein alban at delphi.com
Mon Feb 5 12:26:43 PST 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor wrote:
>The actual question was not really about posting a
>list of ingredients, which I feel is certainly the
>least we could do.  The question was actually a little
>more broad in scope.  At what point can we, as SCA
>cooks, back away from the table and say "I have done
>enough...the rest is up to you."?  Does it end with
>the list of ingredients?  If it does, then I say
>"problem solved".  If, however, we are to be held
>accountable for our neighbors relapse into alcoholism
>because there was a trace amount of port in our
>porridge, then I say "shame on us".  That's how this
>thread (or this version of the thread) got started
>(and tends to get started every time it comes up).
>So, my question is really "at what point is our
>obligation satisfied?"

This is a good question. I think it will vary depending on where you
live and your own attitudes.

Here in NoCal in the West, as Rose has pointed out, it seems we can
serve just about anything and most people will be willing to try it.
(not a big surprise in an area that has restaurants that serve most
kinds of European, Asian, and Central and South American, as well as
a multitude of African cuisines, as well as being a major wine
producing region.)

It is obvious from some postings to this list, however, that serving
a real "period" meal, even with "safe" main ingredients, would be
difficult in some areas. Additionally, some areas seem to have a
preponderance of members of particular religions with strong
feelings/beliefs/doctrine about certain food ingredients (such as
Mormons who don't want alcohol in the food).

Will the Head Cook serve them whatever she/he chooses? Or will the
Head Cook make compromises? I don't think there is a single right
answer.

I would PREFER it if the Head Cook were in a position to make the
best period food she/he knew how regardless of the "taste" (i.e.
narrowmindedness) of timid diners or of the religious demands of a
significant portion of diners. But it appears to me, at least, that
the cook needs to gauge her/his intended diners. If the diners don't
like what she/he serves, will the Head Cook be allowed to cook
another feast?

I don't know if there are certain Society rules that we cooks need to
know. For example, what is our personal liability or the Society's
liability for illness or even death caused by the food? Obviously,
unless some of us are psycho, i figure we truly intend to serve food
that won't intentionally harm diners.

Other than that, in the end, i think it is up to you.

Anahita