SC - spelling please

Ted Eisenstein alban at delphi.com
Mon Feb 5 19:58:18 PST 2001

On 2/5/01 10:57 AM sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
.
>... I was elevated to a Baron of the Court.  I
>was in shock for the rest of the event.
>Hej!
>Baron? Olaf of Trollhiemsfjord
>who is wondering what the rank would be in Norse.

Congratulations indeed.  Gerek says the term is basically the same
"barun" (with accent acute on the u), but wasn't adopted until 1277 (in
Norway).

The Edda (1233) mentions barons in England, and gives "lendr ma(dh)r"
(dh=edh ð in HTML) as the Norwegian equivalent.  Another older office
that might equate is hersir, undoubtedly the model for Norman barons.
Hersir as a title was slowly superceded by lendir ma(dh)r in Norway, but
is considered the same thing and was used interchangably in some periods.
 The terms go(dh)i and hof(dh)ingi are also possibilities.

To quote from the footnotes of Gerek's (still in preparation) book _Old
Norse Terms for Anachronists_:  "titles are a particular problem when
translating between Society terms which do not conform to any one
country's usage, and Scandinavian terms which represent the systems of
several different countries with their own individual and usually
completely different systems (particularly Iceland (the principal source
for ON terminology) which was a form of republic until 1262), which also
varied over time.  At one point in Norwegian history, the scale of rank
ran something like konungr, jarl, hersir, holdr, buandi, but even here
this is just an approximation.  Hersir probably originally referred to an
independant ruler, not liegemen of a konungr, king -- later it appears to
have become a liegeman below a jarl and above a holdr.  A holdr is a kind
of higher yeoman like the statesman of Westmoreland i.e. the owner of
allodial land.  A hersir or lendr maor held land in fee from the king in
later times."

By the way, the Norwegian barons of 1277 were addressed as "Herra" lord,
the same as knights.  In other words, you would be Herra Olafr a
Trollheimsfir(dh)i barun (a=a acute, O=O acute, dh=edh, u=u accute).

If you wanted to use the form "baron of the court", it would be "barun
hir(dh)ar".

Now, wasn't that a LOT more than you wanted to know, 8-)?

For food content... Gerek has all sorts of Norse food terms collected
too!  Foodstuffs, techniques, equipment, etc.

Chimene (& Gerek)