SC - Iceland

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Wed Feb 7 02:10:25 PST 2001

Nanna said:
> I'm not going to say Icelandic hasn't changed for the last 800 years. Of
> course it has, although less than most other languages. But we tend to be
> rather protective of it. We have no old palaces, cathedrals or monuments, in
> fact no buildings more than 250 years old - few old works of art, no
> national treasures to speak of. Except our litterature. That, and our
> language, is what sets us apart. Which is why I, while not a language purist
> myself, can readily understand people who are.

Huh? There are large portions of the United States that weren't even
colonized 250 years ago and the country itself isn't that old, but
Iceland was settled in 900 something? Why is it rare to have no buildings
or works of art that old? I know Iceland is volcanic. Are the eruptions
severe enough or widespread enough to wipe out all the old areas?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net