SC - Chinquapins?

Wed Feb 7 13:43:50 PST 2001

Yep, made it real interesting being the emergency response tech for my
company. I got a call - some farmer that bought land from the government
next to Drum. "Got me a tube of something just plowed it up. Can you
guys come out and get it?" which translates to me hopping into my work
truck and driving 2 hours into the hinterlands of NY. I get there, see a
typical 80# cylinder, go to the back and pick up an emergency cap kit
and my tool roll. I hump out to the middle of a wet, soggy partially
ploughed field and bend over the cylinder as farmer Bob says "I heard it
sort of sputtering, so I drifted it shut better with my hammer" just as
I get out the gas mask, and as I get it on I hear the release blow by.
Amazing how quickly you can get an emergency cap on when you can't see
or breath ;-) [lots of practice with a blacked out gas mask and gloves!

To this day, I hate being splashed in my face, and my normal reflex when
startled involves exhaling and backing away.
margali
- --

MarilynTraber at FictionForest.com
HTTP://WWW.FictionForest.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Quote Starts Here:
One of the common military practices was to bury containers of dangerous
materials to keep them from getting into the atmosphere.  Records were
either not kept or lost, so every so often somebody gets a nasty
surprise
when they dig up and puncture a container that shouldn't be there.
About 8
years ago, 50 some acres of Tinker AFB was declared a super fund site,
when
they uncovered toxic material buried in W.W.II.