SC - alcohol revisited

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 20:11:53 PST 2001

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain shared:
>Source: Diego Granado, _Libro del Arte de Cozina_, 1599
>Para hazer sopas de ciruelas passas, y otras frutas secas
>
>Tomense las ciruelas passas, ponganse a remojo en agua tibia, y
>despues cuezanse con vino blanco, azucar, clavos, nuez
>moscada, y canela, molido todo juntamente, y en estando cozidas
>tenganse aparejadas revanadas de pan tostadas en platos y
>ponganse encima las ciruelas passas con la decoccion, y sirvanse
>calientes con azucar por encima.  Desta mesma manera se
>pueden cozer los datiles cortados por medio, los higos secos y
>otras frutas.

To make sops of prunes, and other dried fruits

Take prunes, put to soak in warm/tepid water, and
then cook with white wine, sugar, cloves, nutmeg,
and cinnamon, ground all together, and in being cooked
place prepared [revanadas] ?slices? of toasted bread in plates and
put the prunes on top with the decoction ( i.e., sauce), and serve
hot with sugar on top. In this same manner one
can make dates cut in half, dried figs and
other fruits.

- -----

I mainly wanted to look up the verbs. The two dictionaries Brighid
posted are not very useful unless you already know the verb
infinitives. As someone who knows just about zip Spanish, i was
highly frustrated.

I did look up "ciruelas passas". The rest i pretty much assumed based
on my knowledge of French and a little Latin, and the little Spanish
i picked up during a week in Andalucia at the end of December.

I'm afraid i had to guess at many meanings based on context, and
other words i kind of absorbed from other translations posted here,
since i couldn't look up any of the verbs.

I'm sure i'm missing some subtleties of meanings, since this was
really off the top of my head and i don't know Spanish.

Anahita