(OT)SC - Someone on this list may have the Seven Dwarfs virus

Prydwen gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
Thu Feb 8 12:28:57 PST 2001

- --- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> >tenganse aparejadas revanadas de pan tostadas en platos
> >pueden cozer los datiles cortados por medio, los higos

> place prepared [revanadas] ?slices? of toasted bread in
> plates and
> can make dates cut in half, dried figs and

> As someone who knows just about zip Spanish,
> i was
> highly frustrated.

> Anahita

If you're really someone who knows just about zip Spanish,
you did amazingly well.  Your translation looks fine to me;
only correction I would make would be to change the "make"
in the last line to the more literal "cook", but the
meaning of the phrase remains the same.  Good work.
Consider yourself entitled to the minor indulgence of your
choice.

"Revanadas", by the way, was a trick question.  I finally
tracked it down as "rebanadas", after trying "revanar" and
"vanar".  "Slices" is exactly right, though.

A couple of hints for those who are playing:  a "z" may
modernly be a "c", and "v" and "b" may be exchanged (they
have nearly the same sound in Spanish).  And, of course,
many double letters have become singles in modern Spanish.

Dana/Ximena
Who has an awful time with anything written in English
before they invented spelling...