SC - Translation challenge #1

rcmann4@earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 8 19:10:45 PST 2001

Okay, here goes. Watch out, this is going to get messy. I have never
studied Spanish to any degree of fluency whatsoever, and never in an
academic setting at all. Feel free to help nail this puppy up where it belongs.

"Para assar la espalda de la vaca en assador

Tomaras los pedazos de la espalda de la vaca no mayores que de peso de
quatro libras, pondraslos debaxo de algun gran pesso con sal molida,
hinojo, pimienta machada, y un poco de ajo picado, por
espacio de quatro horas, luego los pondras en el assador y debaxo de una
cazuela con un poco de romero, si te pareciere, y unos cascos de
cebolla, los quales se yran cociendo con la gordura que
cayere de lo assado.  Servirlo has caliente con las cebollas y su zumo,
mesclandole un gustillo hecho de vinagre y mosto cocido, y especias comunes."

Ver-ry loosely:

To roast the shoulder of the cow on a spit.

You take a piece from the shoulder of a young cow weighing four pounds,
put it under [algun gran pesso = a heavy weight???] with powdered salt,
hinojo [something about in eyes???], crushed pepper, and a little
pricked garlic, for a space of four hours, then put it on the spit and
underneath a casserole with a little [romero -- I have no idea], if you
like, and chopped onions, the [quales -- again, no idea] are [yran --
ditto] cooked with the dripping that will fall from the spit. To serve
you heat up the onions and the juice, mix with it a flavoring made of
vinegar and cooked must, and common spices.

In other words, I think the meat is sort of dry-rubbed with salt and
other seasonings, then weighted and allowed to sort of macerate for four
hours, then roasted on a spit over a drip pan in which you make the
sauce, which will consist of the drippings, onions, vinegar, redcuced
must, and spices.

On the other hand, perhaps my grandmother is oiling the cheese window,
and I must sell your eyes to my angry sister.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com