SC - recipe trading (was: theme menus)

TG gloning at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Sat Feb 10 15:14:43 PST 2001

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> Thanks for letting me know Adamantius.  I have seen such sheers for various
> prices.  Would there be any value to spending more for a pair of do the less
> expensive ones work just as well and can you use them to cut up a turkey?
> thanks!!

A turkey, unless it's a very small one, maybe six pounds or so, would
probably be too much for all but the largest, and most expensive,
poultry shears. There's also the matter of hand strength. You'd have to
open your hand, and the shears, really wide to accomodate a large
turkey, and when your hand is spread open that much, it has less
strength to it, and turkey bones are usually tougher and larger than
chicken bones.

Poultry shears seem to be used primarily for trimming birds of all
sizes, removing wing tips and such, and for cutting up the smaller
waterfowl and gamebirds, ducks, pheasants, etc., both raw and cooked.

I would say that in general, the cheaper versions will have a shorter
lifespan, but may work fine for a short time. It might depend on how
often you use them.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy