SC - Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 14:02:17 PST 2001

Hi there.  I'm sure you read the package about using phyllo.  It does dry
out in a heartbeat.  Since it is very flaky when cooked, the splits and
rumples don't make too much difference for many dishes.  I usually steam up
the kitchen a bit in dry weather before I begin.  Keeping the laid out
phyllo covered with a damp cloth is a must.  Since you are making several
smallish bits individually you should keep them covered with a damp cloth as
you finish each one.  Phyllo does not re-freeze well at all.  It tends to
get even more brittle and tempramental.  If you are making these little guys
ahead, you can, but only a few days (mostly because of the mushrooms as
phyllo will last several weeks) ahead, then keep them in the refrigerator in
a covered container. Just don't let them sit in the air without a moist
cover.

Hope that helps.
Olwen