SC - Haversacks and nefts (??)

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Thu Feb 15 02:43:01 PST 2001

Cariadoc said:
> >Has anyone made these?  It was a nicely different dish and the way
> >she prepared it was quite attractive.
>
> Assuming it's the recipe from the Andalusian cookbook, yes. But we
> weren't very happy with the construction, or very sure we had it
> right.

I'm not familar with the recipe. Did you stuff the inside of the
asparagus? Or put it on the outside? Is there any indication of how
it is supposed to be put together? Anything about slicing or splitting
the artichoke? Or binding on the stuff on the outside?

Why were you not happy with the construction?

If I remember right, there is a recipe for roasting butter where blobs
of butter are spitted and  bread crumbs and such are plastered on the
outside several times until the butter stops melting through. And there
is the chicken bones where the ground up meat is made into a paste and
reattached to the bones, so maybe having the stuffing on the outside
isn't as strange as it seems. But it would be nice to see if the
original recipe gives a better indication. Maybe this is a case where
the translation and the various possible meanings of the original words
need to be checked.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net