SC - Period finger foods

KarenO kareno at lewistown.net
Thu Feb 15 15:11:39 PST 2001

> for the other, I've never heard that term except as applied to salt cellars
> as already stated (but I'm no expert....). Also, given that most medieval
> inventories dont show a lot of cutlery (see Dyers Standards of Living in
> the Later Middle Ages), and I doubt upperclass folks would have brought
> their own to a banquet (except maybe thier knife)

I've seen a couple of late or post period examples of Eastern European
spooncases, used by nobility. These shaped cases (sort of like scissors
cases) were highly decorated accessories. So, yes, some nobility
apparently did bring their own spoons (silver, of course).

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"