SC - Theme Menus

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 12:22:56 PST 2001

Okay, Brodo of chickpeas sans salt, that can replace the stew for all those
abbey-normal diets.  Then you can try roast onion salad sans salt.  If you
do the aquapatys in unsalted water that makes them eligible for this menu.
A selection of breads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar (not demonstrably
period, but neither is honey butter).

The appulmoyse may not be suitable for the diabetic, but should meet
everyone else's criteria.  (BTW, around here Fuji's cost a lot more than Red
Delicious).  In the same vein, I might consider Wardens in Syrup or Pear
Tart, when the price of pears is right.  Taillis, Dried Fruit Pudding, is
also a possiblity.

The Sweet Spinach Tart such as I did for my last feast is good for this kind
of menu although it contains sugar.  And one must remember to use vegetable
shortening in the pie shells.

Oh yes, rather than the butter, we'll wash the 100 per cent vegetable oil
margarine in rose water.

I usually do feasts rather than lunches or sideboards and just about anyone
can get enough variety and quantity at one of my feasts to go away full.  I
don't know of any vegetarians having problems with my menus (most
Ansteorrans are carivores) but I do have several potential anaphylaxis
problems locally and some diabetics.  These are considered when setting a
menu.

Low sodium diets have never come up locally, but I seldom am heavy handed on
the salt and I prefer to make my own stocks, broths, and sauces.

Bear