SC - Re: new books you WANT (joke)

Devra@aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sun Feb 18 08:43:48 PST 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> I thought that the directions to press the meat might result in the
> weight and salt forcing liquid out of the roast.  Did that happen?

<<< No, it didn't.  However, the recipe does not specify the amount of
salt or how "great" the weight should be.  I hunted around on the
web for some recipes for roasts coated with seasonings, and let
those be my guide for quantities. . . . . snip . . .
I wondered if it might be to thoroughly press the seasonings into
the meat, so they wouldn't fall off when roasting on the spit. >>>

My initial thoughts of the salt and pressing led me to think that you might get a sort of 'aging' effect on the outer parts of the meat.  A little drier, denser texture similar to that achieved by dry aging.  Not that it would be a huge difference, but perceptible.  Possibly also enhancing crust development in roasting since there is some amount less surface liquid available to drip, and a slightly higher ratio of sugars to caramelize.  I have had some of this happen when I have used a heavy salt rub overnight, then rinsed/removed most of the salt and grilled over open flame/coals.

niccolo difrancesco