SC - gnocchi (v long)

Lee-Gwen piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Sun Feb 18 22:30:45 PST 2001

Actually, what the cow eats does affect the flavor of the milk, which is why
you want to keep the cows away from onion grass and garlic.....  I have also
read of wet-nurses whose charges refused the breast because the mother was
eating strong-flavored foods.

Of course, feeding a cow rose-petals sounds like a really upper-class
degenerate sort of thing.  Only think how many roses you'd need to satisfy
even a small cow!

 (No, I can't remember where I read this, so no references or sources.)

And speaking of strongly flavored milk, there's a lovely recipe  (in Sallets,
Humbles, & Shrewsbery Cakes)for chicken with cauliflower in sauce where you
poach the cauliflower in milk flavored with blade mace.  The author says to
drain the cauliflower and "retain the milk for other uses."  I have not yet
thought of a use for milk flavored with cauliflower--except
perhaps cauliflower soup

Devra the Baker

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com