SC - Unusual beverage

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Feb 19 08:44:34 PST 2001

I've been working with the following recipes off and on for the past few weeks.  I need some guidance or help here.  I get great tasting stuff, but...

151 To bake good Lebkuchen
Translation by Valoise Armstrong

Take first a pound of sugar, a quart of clear honey, not quite a third quart of flour, take two and a half ounces of cinnamon, one and a half ounces of cloves, two ounces of cardamom. Cut the other spices as small as possible, the cinnamon sticks are ground as coarsely as possible. Also put ginger therein and put the sugar into the honey, let it cook together, put the flour in a trough, pour the cardamom into it first, afterwards the ginger and the other spices.

164 To make a large Nurnberger Lebkuchen

Take a quart of honey and a quarter pound of sugar, prepare it as for the smaller Lebkuchen, take one quarter pound of flour and then the spices as follows: one half ounce of cinnamon, one ounce of cloves, one and three fourths ounces of nutmeg, four ounces of ginger, one fourth ounce of mace. Stir it carefully around, afterwards roll the dough out somewhat. Bake it as for the smaller Lebkuchen.

I'm getting great tasting taffy like stuff, but, 164 says that I should be able to roll out the dough somewhat.  I cannot do this.  It is way too sticky until it cools down somewhat.  There is one more recipe that in the group that states that I should be able to press images into it and then bake it.

Am I not getting the temp high enough?  I haven't taken it to hard ball or the two crack stages yet.  I know it is not a cookie because there is not enough flour compared to the honey and sugar.  So, now I am at a loss.  How is it supposed to turn out?

Thanks for any help you can give me.  BTW I scaled recipe 151 down to 1 cup honey and am working  with the smaller batches.

Kateryn de Develyn