SC - Unusual beverage

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon Feb 19 18:57:57 PST 2001

Hi all,

Just to comment on an old thread (all right I'm playing catch-up again) ....

If you are going to post an ingredients list then PLEASE make it completely
accurate.

At a recent feast (where I and some friends worked in the kitchen) the Head
Cook announced the she was going to add some tomatoes to the red meat dish
to add a little zing.  However, seeing as tomatoes are New World, then we
would keep the ingredient a secret so as not to upset the general
feastgoers.

As well as the general feeling of shock, I personally was outraged as I am
extremely intolerant of tomato and therefore as a general feast attendant
would have become very sick because the Head Cook didn't want it known that
she used an OOP ingredient.  A couple of friends did gently inform the Cook
of the error of her idea.

To be fair, it was the Head Cook's first SCA Feast and she since has learnt
some of what we do differently to a "normal" dinner party - and why.  I
think she will do well at her next feast.

As a tangent, I also feel that the more familiar you are with someone's
allergies the more you are likely to accommodate them.  There was one gentle
attending the same feast mentioned above who is deathly allergic to meat
protein (anaphylactic shock).  When the Head Cook suggested putting meat and
salad on the same platter for the second remove, we immediately sent a
runner to find out which table this gentle was on, and made sure they
received two separate platters.  We (or should I say I - I shan't speak for
other people) didn't feel like we were doing anything extra special - we
simply wanted this gentle to be able to eat the salad and thus arranged it.

Some of the other workers in that kitchen and the gentle with the allergy
are I believe lurkers on this list, so I will let them comment if they so
wish.

Meliora.

> What's really scary is I ask, the wait person checks,
> and the dish comes out with pimento in it. Seems the cooks in Oklahoma
> don't
> know that pimento is a pepper. If I have any doubts I check for both now.

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
that is confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee named
above.  It may also be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient do
not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy or take any action in
reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender immediately and delete this message.  Before opening any
attachments, check them for viruses or defects.