SC - Re: Feeding cows rose-petals

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Feb 20 06:38:33 PST 2001

>From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
>To: SCA-Cooks maillist <SCA-Cooks at ansteorra.org>
>Subject: SC - Re: Feeding cows rose-petals
>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:38:46 -0600
>
>Kirsten of Blak Rose said:
> > I can testify to about charges refusing eat when the wet nurses ate
>strongly
> > flavored foods.  I love eating spiced foods i.e. jalapeno peppers,
>buffalo
> > wings etc.  However, when I was pregnant with our daughter and after
>when I
> > was nursing, she definitely did not like the spiced foods.  Cynthia
>would
> > kick hard from inside or refuse to nurse after I would eat a spicy meal.
>
>Ok, I guess I could have been clearer. I don't doubt that what an female
>animal, including a person, eats may effect the resulting taste. We've
>had a discussion on this, with a number of personal examples given. What
>I didn't think would happen is that giving a cow rose petals to eat
>would result in milk that tasted like roses. Nothing in the personal
>stories mentioned so far, now or previously, says the milk tasted like
>the eaten food, just that the baby didn't like it. The baby might
>react just because the milk was different, not because it specifically
>tasted like the eaten food.
>
>If it did, just think, Take all those coffee grounds and get coffee
>milk. Or a bunch of chocolate and get chocolate milk! Or feed the cow
>a lot of orange peels and get orange milk.
>
>--
>THLord  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
>Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net
>**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:  http://www.florilegium.org ****

My husband's family used to get milk from a local farmer when he was a
boy.The milk was from only a few cows as opposed to milk from many cows as
in a commercial dairy.One time the entire heard got into the blueberry patch
resulting in milk which indeed tasted of blueberries.I wonder how many rose
petals would give the same result.I see a whole new direction for
biotechnology, perhaps producing usable fooder for cows from rose bushes.A
plant with just flowers.This is where the "C" in "SCA" comes in. ;)

Roberta Bromley