SC - Egg Yolks

upsxdls_osu@ionet.net upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Wed Feb 21 11:34:02 PST 2001

>We figured on 12 gallons of Hen in Broth and 6 gallons of Lentil.
>We planned on 100 lbs of chicken for the Hen in Broth. How much Broth will
>we need? (We were so busy savoring the result when we tested it that we
>forgot to measure the output!)

>From The Chef's Book of Yields, Formulas, and Sizes:
"Soup Quantities

Serving size: 6 oz. (0.17 l)
1 gal. (3.8 l) yields 20 servings
5 gal. (19 l) yields 100 servings
10 gal. (38 l) yields 200 servings
NOTE: Always make about 10 percent more soup than needed, to allow for
spillage."

>From The New Professional Chef--Culinary Institute of America (6th ed.)
Waterzooi del Poulet (Chicken Soup)
(note--this is my abbreviated version of this recipe, NOT the original from
the CIA. I included it to give some idea of quantities of chicken to
stock/broth that the pros use).
3.5 pounds whole chicken
1 gallon chicken stock
(assorted vegetables and spices)
The chicken is simmered in the stock, removed, and the meat is diced. The
stock is strained and simmered with the vegetables. Then the chicken meat is
returned to the soup and reheated. This recipe makes one gallon of soup.

Puree of Lentils (lentil soup)
calls for 1 pound lentils to 1 gallon stock--also has vegetables, lentils
are pureed with broth before serving--makes one gallon

>From The Way to Cook--Julia Child
Lentil soup--1/2 cup lentils to 6 cups broth/stock--makes 2 quarts but she
also includes 1/2 cup root vegetables and a couple of chopped-up tomatoes.

Hope this helps!

Mathilde