SC - OT: Eating the Script Girl

Wed Feb 21 13:36:28 PST 2001

The use of yeast in Russian pie dough is possible.  To my knowledge, the
extant Russian recipes are late period or post period.  IIRC, I have an
Elizabethan pie shell recipe which uses yeast in the paste.  The recipe for
Para Hazer Tortillon Relleno from Libro del arte de cozina (1599) uses yeast
in the paste.  Which means yeast was being used in some pie doughs at the
appropriate time.

There are recipes for fritters and crisps in the Forme of Cury and Two
Fifteenth Century Cookbooks which use yeast, so I wouldn't be surprised to
see yeast turn up in similar recipes.

Bear