SC - Yeast

Jane Boyko jboyko at magma.ca
Wed Feb 21 13:55:14 PST 2001

> The use of yeast in Russian pie dough is possible.  To my knowledge, the
> extant Russian recipes are late period or post period.

The Russian pie recipes in the Domostroi (16th century) aren't really
recipes. Basically, we know they used bread dough (which other sources
claim was leavenedd) because it says (Pouncy translation, sorry):
"Domostroi: "When the servants bake bread, order them to set some of the
dough aside, to be stuffed for pies. When they bake wheat bread, have pies
made for the family from the coarse flour left in the sieve. For meat days
stuff them with whichever meat is to hand. For fast days use kasha, peas,
broth, turnips, mushrooms, cabbage, or whatever God provides...."
(note that bread dough is not specified in the case of the wheat flour.)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."