SC - theme menus

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 21 21:16:13 PST 2001

Michael Gunter wrote:

> Good Gentles!
>
> I am entering the single dish cooking category this weekend at my Regional A
> & S.  While I am not including my beverage as part of my entry, I would like
> the beverage to be as suitable as possible.  The site is very dry, other
> than for the B & V entries.

At least you get to _have_ B&V (it took me the better part of a minute
to figure out what _that_ meant) entries at your A&S events held at dry sites.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?  The dish I
> am preparing is cooked with red wine, so I thought perhaps a non-alcoholic
> red wine (plain or spiced) might be suitable, but I wasn't sure.

Um, this may not be the suggestion you're thinking of, but I suggest
using the best red wine you can afford (or wish) for the food entry,
assuming the dish is cooked, that is (puhleeeeze let's not get into the
molar weight of wine before and after cooking, or any argument about
whether it contains any alcohol after boiling). It seems evident that
the purpose of the rule as it stands is to prevent any consumption of
alcoholic beverages (i.e. "getting sloshed") under less-than-controlled
circumstances. In other words, my guess is that you could enter your
alcoholic beverage in the B&V division and be within the letter of the
rules, and enter your red wine dish in the food entries and be well
within at least the spirit of the rules, if not the letter. I suspect,
though, that you won't have a problem in any case, once it is made clear
that the wine is not being drunk on site outside of the B&V comp
division, but rather, cooked and eaten. I'm suggesting this not because
I'm interested in promoting gratuitous rule-flouting, but because your
dish will thank you for the use of real wine, almost certainly.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com