SC - Canned Pumpkin

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 21 22:39:03 PST 2001

Moria asked:
> I am entering the single dish cooking category this weekend at my Regional A
> & S.  While I am not including my beverage as part of my entry, I would like
> the beverage to be as suitable as possible.  The site is very dry, other
> than for the B & V entries.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  The dish I
> am preparing is cooked with red wine, so I thought perhaps a non-alcoholic
> red wine (plain or spiced) might be suitable, but I wasn't sure.

But what time period? What region? Europe or Middle East?

Since I'm not sure which beverages to reconned specifically without
more details, here are some files in the BEVERAGES section of the
Florilegium that might have some you would like:
beverages-NA-msg  (80K)  9/ 2/99    Non-alcoholic beverages.
Clarea-d-Agua-art (12K)  1/ 7/01    "Period drinks - Spiced Wines and
Sweet
                                       Waters" by Vicente Coenca.
infusions-msg     (19K) 11/27/00    Period infusions. Herbal "teas".
Barley tea.
jalabs-msg        (51K)  1/23/01    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).
kvass-msg         (71K)  6/20/00    Russian drink made from bread or grains.
  (generally lightly alcoholic, but I thought I'd include it just in case)
spiced-wine-msg   (19K)  1/23/01    Spiced wines. Hippocras. Recipes.
  (Since hyppocras was often not made with the best wine, since the spices
will cover up much of the taste, a hyppocras using a non-alcoholic wine
might be ok. Time is almost too short for this though)
wassail-msg       (15K) 12/17/99    Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net