SC - Re: Pumpkins down under

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Fri Feb 23 06:01:39 PST 2001

Diana L Skaggs wrote:

> If you know how many egg yolks you need for a recipe, beat them together
> and pour into a freezer container.  Allow them to thaw slowly in the fridge
> before use.  I never got the hang of defrosting them in the microwave.
> Some folks I know freeze a yolk or two in ice cube trays - put the yolk in
> the cube compartment and put just enough water to cover.  Either method
> works pretty good for cooked egg dishes, like puddings.

Does anybody have any comment on the phenomenon where frozen egg yolks
become considerably thicker after freezing (apparently, permanently so)?
Certainly this seems to be a part of what makes frozen key lime pies
work (essentially, the custard is uncooked in many versions, relying
instead on acidity and freezing -- once it has frozen, or at least
chilled until thick, it can be thawed without problems). Also, Harold
McGee has a section in one of his books in which he talks about using
frozen yolks in smaller quantities for emulsified sauces because they
thaw to a thicker state, and are therefore (supposedly) better
emusifiers than raw, unfrozen yolks, so fewer are needed for that pint
of mayonnaise.

Has anybody else experienced this thickening of yolks in the freezer?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com