SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Feb 24 07:26:29 PST 2001

Olwen said:
> >For a substitute for "Queen's Tea" would "Queen's Court" work? So far
> >as I know, it isn't a term actually used in period, but at least it
> >is made up of period terms used in a more or less period fashion.
> >--
> >David Friedman
>
> Your Grace.  Please may I differ with your idea of "Queens Court".  It gives
> a totally different idea of what is going on.  When I hear "court" I am
> expecting one thing ~ sit down, formal, usually serious, etc. etc.; when I
> hear "tea" or "brunch" I am expecting something more intimate and relaxed
> with refreshments and chatting.

I agree that the word "court" now seems to have a different meaning, but
I've wondered how much our formal courts in the SCA have been affected
by the terms used in modern jurisprudence and Hollywood. Were most
courts, or Royal audiences, announcements, awards and such done with
everyone gathered in auditorium type seating in rows in front of the
Royalty? I doubt it, but I've not done any studying on the matter.

Wasn't a "Moot" a gathering of citizens for decisions or discussions?
Perhaps "Queen's Moot" would be a possible term? I haven't got a
dictionary handy, so I may be mis-remembering this. Still does sound
kind of formal though.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net