SC - butter beer recipe

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Feb 25 15:30:48 PST 2001

Ted Eisenstein wrote:

> >116 Agua para lavar el rostro
> >
> >     Pies de ·nades crudos y picados, una puesta de vaca,
> >digo de carne de vaca picada. Junto todo y destilado por
> >una alquitara, lavarse el rostro con esta agua. Es muy
> >buena.
> >Water for washing the face
> >     Raw chopped duck feet, a piece/slice of cow, I mean of
> >chopped beef.  All together and distilled by a still, wash
> >your face with this water.  It is very good
> Errrr. . . . How does one go about distilling what is, basically,
> consomme/beef tea? Or do they mean something like simmering
> until it reduces by a half or some such?

If this is distilled, as in, in a still, I would say there would be very
few chemical differences between this product and distilled water.
Perhaps there's a nuance of the Spanish text that eludes translation by
some of us (like me, for example), but this doesn't sound from the
description like a beef tea, or even a duck-and-beef tea. It may have
some light molecules not found in ordinary distilled water, which could
conceivably be of benefit to the face, or there may some kind of very
loose sympathetic magic connection. For example, in a society where a
lot of water may have to be boiled to be palatable in any case, why not
boil it with Thing X (or better yet, distill it) for Purpose Y?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com