SC - Arguing with the Crown

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Feb 26 10:18:17 PST 2001

- --------------986E23FEDC16493367894F1A

To those who wanted it, here follows the recipe/redaction for the
Rauioles that I did for a feast a year or so ago:

94.  Rauioles.  Take wete chese & grynde hit smal, & medle hit wyt eyren
& saffron and a god quantite of buttur.  Make a thin foile of dowe &
close hem therein as turteletes, & cast hem in boyling watur, & sethe
hem therein.  Take hote butter meltede & chese ygrated, & ley thi
ravioles in dissches; & ley thi hote buttur why grateded cheses binethe
& aboue, & cast thereon powdur douce.

94.  Rauioles (ravioli).  Take white cheese and grind it small, and mix
it with eggs and saffron and a good quantity of butter.  Make thin sheet
of dough and seal this within as with tartlettes and put them into
boiling water, and boil them.  Take hot melted butter and grated cheese
and lay the raviolis in a dish and lay the hot butter with grated cheese
beneath and above, and sprinkle with poudre douce. (Forme of Curye from
Curye on Inglysch)

Redaction:  8 servings—1 table

33 Won Ton Wrappers                            Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Egg                                                       Powdered
Ginger
1 pinch Saffron                                         Sugar (Caster)
2 Tbsp. Butter                                          Cloves
1 cup mozzarella grated                            Cinnamon
1 cup provolone grated                             Mace
1 Egg white (to seal raviolis)

1.  Grate cheese, and mix with eggs, saffron and melted butter.
2.  Fill wrappers with mixture and seal with egg whites.
3.  Boil until tender (al dente)
4.  Place in a dish, sprinkle with ginger, sugar, cloves, cinnamon, mace
mixed together (poudre douce) and Parmesan cheese.

Notes:
1.  I used won ton wrappers for this feast for expediency’s sake…they
are essentially an oriental version of this same pastry .
2.  I used egg whites to seal the raviolis so they would stay together
better.
3.  I didn't record any quantities for the contents of poudre douce.  I
suspect I did the old thing of putting them together until they
looked/tasted right.

It comes from "Forme of Curye" found in Curye on Inglysche.  Hope this
helps!

Kiri

[...]

Grated Parmesan Cheese
Powdered Ginger
Sugar (Caster)
Cloves
Cinnamon
Mace
mace mixed together (poudre douce) and Parmesan cheese.
are essentially an oriental version of this same pastry .
together better.
douce.  I suspect I did the old thing of putting them together until
they looked/tasted right.
Hope this helps!

- --------------986E23FEDC16493367894F1A--