SC - Arguing with the Crown

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 26 20:37:07 PST 2001

Kiri climbed on her soapbox and said:
> No problem.  I only wish that your philosophy could be instituted as "required
> reading" for incipient Crowns...or anyone contemplating fighting for Crown.
> Unfortunately many people take on positions of power or authority (Great
> Offices, Crowns, Coronets, etc.) with the idea that they will be able to do what
> they want and be answerable to no one except themselves...and maybe a corporate
> office.  My experience has shown that these are the ones who not only fail at
> that position (usually) but who earn the disrespect of those around them.  I
> think that people who take on these positions should understand that they are
> servants of the people...and that their main job is to make sure everyone around
> them has a pleasant and worthwhile experience in the group!

While I have no power to make it required reading, I can make such comments
available to those who are willing to learn. Gunthar's message will be
placed in this file in the SCA-INC section of the Florilegium:
SCA-royalty-msg   (41K)  2/15/01    SCA Royalty and what they should be.

Similar files that might be of use to folks on a lower level include:
Baronial-Lead-art (18K)  5/30/97    "Principles of Leadership and a
Baron/ess"
                                       by Conor mac Cinneide.

And these in the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
A-Peer-Within-art  (7K)  6/ 5/00    "A Peer Within" by Constance de LaRose.
Confrontation-art  (9K) 12/20/99    "Gunnora's Rules for Confrontation"
                                       by Mistress Gunnora Harakarva.
Pride-art          (9K)  1/31/01    An article on Pride by an unknown author.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net