SC - Dutch recipe books

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 08:04:40 PST 2001

> > > Does anyone know any good sources for period Lenten restrictions and
> > > recipes? (And no, I haven't looked on the Florilegium yet.)

Most of the period (Christian) cookbooks are full of recipes for Lent,
sometime arranged in a separate chapter.  Sometimes they are
labelled "___ in Lent" or "___ for a fish day".  We need to
remember that in addition to the 40 days of Lent, there were many
other days when meat and dairy products were prohibited.  (And
then there were "egg days", when eggs and dairy were okay, but
not meat.  And also indulgences -- Nola has a recipe for a
vegetable and cheese dish, which he says is "good for Lent, if you
have an indulgence".

I think that the Lenten restrictions varied from place to place and
time to time.  _Fast and Feast_ by Henisch has a chapter on the
subject that would be worth reading.  Also, the first edition of the
_Catholic Encyclopedia_ is online.  The articles on "Lent", "Fast",
and "Abstinence" are useful.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)