SC - medieval dutch food

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 14:14:13 PST 2001

Brighid wrote:

>I have read that whey can be used as the liquid in breadmaking.
>This interests me, since I bake most of my own bread.  Just now, I
>took several cups of freshly-dripped whey and put it in a jar in the
>fridge.  When I return from work tonight, can the remaining whey
>that has accumulated in the bowl be safely gathered and used?
>How long will it keep refrigerated?  Can it be frozen?

It will keep for - oh, I've no idea for how long but here in Iceland, we
used to consider two-year old whey fully matured. It ferments, of course,
but that's how we wanted it. It isn't kept that long any more, though. The
oldest whey I've drunk was almost a year old, and that was way back when I
was seven or eight years old. It wasn't refrigerated, either - no need for
that in the Icelandic climate, as it was kept in an unheated part of the
house. We were served it in "hot" (by local standards) summer weather and it
was icy cold and sour and very refreshing.

If you are asking how long whey keeps fresh - well, it should keep at least
a couple of days when refrigerated but even if it has a slightly sour taste,
that is exactly what I'm after when I use whey for the bread I make. I'm not
sure if it freezes well - I've never tried.

Nanna