SC - alcohol revisited

Robbin Long rlong at srrc.ars.usda.gov
Thu Feb 1 14:35:12 PST 2001

I agree that posting the ingredients list is our best insurance against causing folks real harm; if we try to eliminate all those ingredients that people can have allergic reactions/intolerances/religious prohibitions/aversions to, we would be left with mightily skimpy feasts.

It is then up to the feaster to be sure to CHECK the lists and take them seriously.  As a cautionary tale in this vein, it is important to note that one of the few deaths that has occurred at an SCA event was from just such an allergic reaction.  The attendant Chirugeon was a good friend of mine, and even though the person checked the list and knew he was allergic to the ingredient (mushrooms as I recall), he underestimated either his sensitivity or the amount in the food.  As a result, he went into anaphylaxis and died at the hospital after being rushed there.   She administered Benadryl, which kept him alive until the ambulance arrived, but it was not enough.  Unfortunately, few chirugeons carry epi-pens, and sites (at least here in Meridies), are often quite a stretch from the nearest hospital (or anything else, for that matter).  So for folks who do have allergies - come prepared.

While I tend to roll my eyes myself at how paranoid we have become in general, this can be pretty serious stuff

Back to cheerful lurking.

Broinnfhionn
(Scombroid toxicity survivor, so slightly paranoid myself)

Robbin L. Long, Plant Physiologist
USDA-ARS, SRRC
1100 Robert E. Lee Blvd.
New Orleans, LA  70124