SC - matzoh ball soup

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 2 19:44:41 PST 2001

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> My sister in law makes hers from scratch and she uses oil and they come out
> like  lead. (why does oil make lead matzoh balls?)
>  My family hasn't used chicken schmaltz since my last bubbie died  in 1968.
> But schmaltz probably *was* the secret ingredient!
> Phillipa

My co-conspirator in the upcoming Roumanian steak orgy always takes
about half the total amount of water specified in the recipe on the
matzoh meal box, and uses it to presoak the matzoh meal in _cold_ water
for an hour or so before mixing with the other ingredients -- she feels
the type of fat used doesn't matter much -- and then uses the remainder
of the water called for in the recipe in the form of warm or hot water,
as called for in most recipes. Her matzoh balls (which she always calls
knoedeln) are extremely light. For a long time I assumed she was folding
in stiff-beaten egg whites, but apparently not. Something to do with
gluten expansion.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy