SC - OT: Web copyright -- can Earthlink use my material?

Ted Eisenstein Alban at delphi.com
Sat Feb 3 20:16:28 PST 2001

>"Your posting of material on the Web site or providing material to
>EarthLink to use on the Web site will be deemed to be a grant by you to
>EarthLink of a license to the material to include the material on the Web
>site and to reproduce, publish, distribute, perform, display, and transmit
>the material and to prepare derivative works as may be reasonably
>necessary to do so, and you waive all rights of attribution and integrity
>with respect to the material ."
>Does this mean that they could, say, publish a recipe booklet and leave
>my name off it?  Or that they could legally object to my publishing it
>elsewhere?
>I knew a lot of the free website communities were doing this kind of
>thing.   I assumed that a website that came with a paid Internet account
>would be different, and that the material on it would remain under my
>control and ownership.
>
>Should I be concerned?

I don't know. The person you may want to contact is Morgan Cain, who helps
The BoD out with copyright matters; mundanely she's a lawyer in Texas.
Write her at morgancain at earthlink.net
(Errrr, if she hasn't already responded to you, that is; I believe she's also
on this list - but I saw her earlier today at the annual Clothier's Symposium
here in Calontir, so I doubt she's read your message yet.)

Alban