SC - fish fillets

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 5 23:05:44 PST 2001

Bear said:
> The way I wanted to serve this was two platters, one of fish filets the
> other of chicken filets with the appropriate sauces at the same time.

You mentioned this earlier. It just didn't occur to me that this is
what you meant when you said the fish fillets didn't turn out how
you had wanted.

> The timing didn't bring them out together and the chicken was not as
> visually appealing as I desired.  If I do this again, I'll probably use a
> whole chicken.

I think I'd prefer to see you find another way to dress up
the chicken pieces. While more impressive, the whole chicken is a pain
to carve at the table, wasteful and doesn't appear to have been done
that way in period.

> Skinning partial frozen fish is a trick.  It's been a few years since I've
> done it, so my timing was off.  I obviously need practice.

As does your unskilled kitchen help. This was the first time that I've
tried skinning fish, other than perhaps catfish.

> The mustard was for the beef and it was a little raw.  However, some of the
> people told me mixing it with the marmalade or the apple and wine sauce
> really improved it.

Yes, I combined it with the apple and wine sauce. Perhaps it was a little
raw, but my main complaint was that it wasn't "hot" enough. Personal
taste I guess, but I prefer my mustard to have more "bite". Someday,
not only do I want to make a variety of mustards from period recipes,
but I'd like to make the same recipe with the different mustard seeds
and see how much differance it makes.

Stefan the Procrastinator (yeah, sounds so much better than the Lazy)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net