SC - ingredients list

Tudorcook tudorcook at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 6 00:27:17 PST 2001

- --- "Decker, Margaret" <margaret at Health.State.OK.US>
wrote: > As another with allergies I agree. I'm
allergic to
> something in Commercial
> Curry Powder (not sure what, it causes anaphylactic
> (sp?) shock so I haven't
> experimented, and capsicum (found in all new world
> peppers). I rarely run
> into situations where the first is a problem if the
> menu is of European
> origin but it might surprise you how often I find
> the second.

Maragrite
I really couldn't agree with your comments more.  my
partner has the misfortune, as do all his family, of
being alergic to peppers (red green etc etc).  The
hassle that this can cause when eatout or even going
shopping.  The number of cooking sauces that use them
now you would not believe, I have to go round and
check the back of everything I buy now.  It is
extremely important that all ingredients are listed,
just as on the back of jars or tins as you do not know
what allergies people might have.  Sadly this was
never so true as when one of my friends died a few
years ago aged just 19.  She had a nut allergy that
caused anaphylaxis.  She bit into a piece of food that
she didn't know contained a nut, she didn't get the
adrenalin in time and died about an hour later.  Now I
am sorry if people think that providing ingredients
list is a bit of trouble but in the worse case would
you want a death, however accidental, on your hands?
I know I wouldn't.

=====
Elizabeth