SC - alcohol revisited

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 7 12:28:17 PST 2001

Balthazar of Blackmoor wrote:
>Most vegetarians willingly eat fish or shrimp, eggs,
>and dairy...

Really? Last time i looked fish and crustaceans were not vegetables.
So if someone eats fish and crustaceans, they aren't vegetarians; if
they call themselves that, they're in denial.

Many vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products, since the animals don't
have to be killed to produce them [aside: I don't exactly consider
eggs to be dairy, since they don't come from animals that are give
milk, and most farms i know of don't keep the chickens in with the
cows].

It is true that with our "modern" factory style farming, the fowl and
milk-producing animals may not be giving these products under
"harmless" conditions. Some places people keep a few chickens for
eggs, and the chickens run around and scratch - that's very different
from the way most chickens are kept for eggs in the US (and which
"factory" methods have resulted in increasing cases of salmonella).
And it used to be that milk came from cows that had calves, and
especially during the weaning period. Cows weren't jacked on hormones
to keep it coming...

Anahita
ex-ovo-lacto-vegetarian
will now eat almost anything once or in small quantities