SC - alcohol revisited

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 13:08:34 PST 2001

- --- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Balthazar of Blackmoor wrote:
> >Most vegetarians willingly eat fish or shrimp,
> eggs,
> >and dairy...
>
> Really? Last time i looked fish and crustaceans were
> not vegetables.
> So if someone eats fish and crustaceans, they aren't
> vegetarians; if
> they call themselves that, they're in denial.

I hadn't planned on responding to the previous message
about vegetarian definitions, but I think I will to
this one...

The term 'vegetarian' has a significant number of
interpretations these days, to be sure.  Strictly
speaking of course, a vegetarian eats only vegetables
and vegetable byproducts (oils, starches, etc..).
However, in these 'wishy-washy' times, other
definitions have cropped up to help categorize those
individuals who are not willing or able to make the
full commitment to a completely vegetarian diet.  For
example... Lacto-Ovo vegetarians will eat Milk and
Eggs (which are considered in the "dairy" category, in
spite of the fact that chickens do not lactate, and
personal beliefs notwithstanding).  There are also
'vegetarians whose diet consists of chicken and other
poultry/fowl (often these vegetarians will also eat
fish and shellfish), and the Mother of all
vegetarians...the Vegan, who will not eat meat of any
kind, nor consume the byproducts of these creatures
(this includes prohibitions on wearing leather or
furs, the use of animal fats in cooking, etc..)
Certain vegetarians will eat fish or shellfish, but
not poultry or meat, and the list goes on and on...

> Some places people keep a few
> chickens for
> eggs, and the chickens run around and scratch -
> that's very different
> from the way most chickens are kept for eggs in the
> US (and which
> "factory" methods have resulted in increasing cases
> of salmonella).

That has not been proven, and is presumptuous to say.

> And it used to be that milk came from cows that had
> calves, and
> especially during the weaning period. Cows weren't
> jacked on hormones
> to keep it coming...

Actually, I don't know that cows are "jacked" on
anything to keep the milk flowing.  I do know that
they have to have given birth in order to lactate,
which is why Veal is a byproduct of the Dairy
industry, and not the Beef Industry.  Some good old
fashioned proof to back up this claim would be most
welcome...

Balthazar of Blackmoor